Thursday, January 27, 2011

Towel Time

A quick melt after weeks of horrid cold and now we have to deal with dirty slush and mucky paws.  Please leave an old towel handy so I can get some of the muck off the feet.

Both groups went to Southland today and enjoyed the slushy ground and the warm temperatures.  I saw the strangest thing this morning.  Res and Guiness actually took off chasing an Ikeda.  If you don't know about these dogs they are huge (over 100 pounds) and not known for their timidness.  Her owner and I could not believe what were were seeing.  Then it was really cute when Res and Guiness came bounding back to me and we could see the Ikeda peeking around the little hills at the north end of the park.  Those Pinkney kids never cease to surprise me.  Marty was quite the social animal and I had to actually pick him up to get him to leave the park.  He had found a choco lab puppy and wanted to play with him.  It didn't help that the dog's whole family, including a couple of pre-teen kids were there and wanted to play with all the dogs in our group too.

In the afternoon Mitch found some duck feathers and was strutting around with them in his mouth like the big man on campus.  He moved pretty quickly when anyone went in to steal them from him.  Our new guy Owen was initiated officially into the group by XL Tucker and Bruin (they both tried to hump the poor guy).  I sometimes call Bruin "Bruin Owen" so he was getting confused when I would all Owen.  All in all the dogs got along really good and Owen is figuring out that getting into the truck with a pack of dogs is actually fun.

Vinny was really spry and had not trouble keeping up with the pack which is so nice to see.  Sam was quite sucky and would not leave my side.  I think that XL Tucker thought she might be new as well and needed to be initiated into the group.  It is too early for spring fever!!  

The afternoon group met up with a woman and her three boys (a baby in a stroller and toddler and young boy) and they flipped out - the boys and the dogs.  I think that every dog deserves a boy.  There is something about that bond - like kindered spirits or something. 

I love my messy, mucky, cheeky friends. 

PS The melt does cause molds and other yucky stuff to come up and be consumed by the dogs and may cause some upset tummies and some mushy poop.  Forewarned is forearmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment