Wednesday, January 12, 2011

C-c-c Cold!!

Oh my word what a dreadfully cold start to the day.  The morning group was game for trying it so Diesel, Everest, J, Maya, Guiness, Nicky and Res headed to the park for a bit of a run.  The dogs fell out of the truck and started running to stay warm. 

On the way to the park Diesel warmed up his singing voice and sang some tunes.  He did not like when I joined in.  He stopped singing and I could see in the rearview mirror that he had his head cocked to the side and his eyes bugged out like he was saying "excuse me lady but I was singing first!"  His expression made me laugh out loud.  J did not much appreciate either of us singing and sat very still and snarled when Diesel came close to him.  Maya and Diesel enjoyed some really rough play.  There were lots of teeth and slobber but no one got hurt.  The Pinkney kids (Nicky, Res and Guin) but mostly Res and Guiny took off running together and went to say hello to the few people that braved the weather to walk their dogs.  After about 45 minutes I saw some paws up in the air and some frosty muzzles and we decided enough was enough. 

The afternoon group got a bit luckier.  The sun had come out and the temperature went up to a balmy -19!  The sun makes all the difference and we were able to have a full 75 minute walk.  Since I had a few wild ones (Rosebud, Shea and Sid) we started off with balls which they quickly lost.  The die-hard retrievers (Sam, Bailey and Everest) were not happy about that but I can't pull balls out of the air even though they think that I should.  Bruin was much happier today and rolled in the snow and was all disco-shiny!  He looked very cute for an old guy.  Frank was a bit cranky to start the walk but quickly settled into the pace of the group.  We sorta walked with two other groups and the dogs were going back and forth between the groups and everyone was getting along.  I love when that happens.  Shea and Rosebud met for the first time today and they both acted like six-year old girls finding their new best friend.  Very, very cute together.  Wilbur felt a little left out because Shea usually plays with him but he managed to get in on a bit of the action and most surprisingly he was able to stay out with the group for the full walk. 

I really love my furry, goofy friends!

PS  When it is this cold I let the dogs set the pace.  I frequently check ears and paws and watch the dogs for signs of discomfort.  We stay close to the truck just in case.  I have blankets in the back and I keep the windows closed to minimize the draft while driving.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo to you for getting the pups out on both Wednesday and Thursday; Sam and me thank you!

    ReplyDelete